Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Winter Wonderland! (In Bethel anyways)

Myself and three other teachers planned on flying into Bethel yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon for reading training, but there was ice and fog in Bethel so we didn't make it out. We got out this morning around 11:00am, and it was a very interesting flight. It was foggy, but I guess the ceiling was high enough that they could fly. I saw white the entire flight, and I can only assume the pilots saw the same thing - as they constantly wiped the windows to look out. As we approached the Bethel airport, a few alarms started beeping (one of the buttons was labeled for the anti-ice stuff - you have to go a certain speed for it to work and I guess we weren't going fast enough).

Soon enough we were just about landing on the tundra when the runway lights appeared in front of us and we landed safely. It seems like as soon as we landed the sky covered up even more! We got there just in time. It hasn't stopped snowing since we arrived - about 5 hours ago. Depending on the weather tomorrow we may or may not get back to Kipnuk. Either way, it's still 12 more working days until I head home for winter break!

A few pictures of the snowy outdoors. There isn't much snow on the ground in Kipnuk, and it's warm and sunny there at the moment - but maybe the weather here is a sign of the winter that will be making its way out to the village in the next few days or weeks. As long as the weather is good for flying on December 17th, the weather can do whatever it wants between now and then!

No comments: