Sunday, August 24, 2008

Aqutak

Aqutak, pronounced agootick, is Eskimo ice cream. It's made with salmon berries, raspberries, and sometimes blueberries too - all found out in the tundra. It is made with Crisco, sugar, berries, and water. I tried a small taste last night, and it is interesting - an acquired taste. Some people absolutely love it, but since I was told it was made with Crisco I kind of already had my heart set on not liking it. One of the other teachers went to Berry Camp this weekend with a couple that works for the school. They went way up the river to their wooden shed and set up camp - put tarps over the top of the shed so they wouldn't get rained on, set up the tents and the steam and the make-shift George Foreman grill (which was made with two fuel canisters cut open from the front, laid on their backs with wood stacked inside - apparently the best way to cook fish). I might try a small, itty bitty taste of aqutak again from the berry camp weekend - but we'll see. Like I said, some people love it.

No comments: