Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 2010!

Coming back from winter break, I was sure I would have to start from square one with my students. I was very wrong! I am blown away at the amount of information my students retained over the two-week break! We got right back into the swing of things with reading and math. I am happy to say that my students are reading their simple sentences, and comprehending them as well!

We have three portable SMARTBoards in the school now, and I have one in my classroom. The students are having a great time learning to use it, and they are completely engaged when I teach a lesson. The only downside is the light from the projector that is aimed right at your face. Luckily, the kids are short enough to be out of the stream - but my face is right in the middle. It's too bad the projectors weren't attached to the SMARTBoard - that's what I thought they were going to be. Just need to shield the eyes sometimes!

This week is Slaviq - Russian Orthodox Christmas and New Year's. My roommates and I might go out this afternoon and join the masses. We didn't have Slaviq in the village last year, but since the Russian Orthodox Priest moved to Kipnuk last year, they decided to have it. More to come about that!

Construction is still going on for the new teacher housing, but we took a peek inside, and they're not too bad. There aren't any walls yet, just beams everywhere, and I have a feeling the place is going to look and feel much smaller when the walls are put in! Here are a couple pics to show the proximity of the housing to the school.

No comments: