Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The New President.

The inauguration started at 8am, our time. A few of the teachers wanted to watch it, and thankfully, the District Office decided to repeat the broadcast over the VTC so all the villages could see it. Our principal said we could bring our students to the gym at 2pm to watch it, so a few of the classes showed up. I brought my kids, even though they really didn't know what was going on. A few of them knew we had a new President, and one even knew his name, so I was happy their parents were talking to them about it. I was surprised to hear that in one village, where we have a couple friends, the principal said having the students watch the broadcast would be a waste of time. I thought that was a bit ridiculous, seeing as this is history in the making.

Watching the repeated speech made me feel like I was in another country. I don't have a television, so I can't watch the news, and reading it online just isn't the same. It makes me wonder about the big news we will watch unfold the next time we are gathered in the cafegymatorium huddled around the TV.

1 comment:

Naomi Olson said...

I know what you mean... it was down-right surreal when 9-11 happened and not only was there this strange dance trying to get television hook-ups in the school, but the internet was creeping along since so many people were checking and the airplanes quit flying... and on a beautiful blue-sky fall day.