Friday, September 5, 2008
Religion.
The eskimos here are Moravian, which is why there is no dancing. The next village over (about 18 miles away) is called Chefornak, and they are not Moravian - so they can have dancing. One of the coolest things to see is the traditional eskimo dance, so I was kind of bummed when I found out we won't be able to see that here. But, there is a festival called Camai (pronounced Jamai because the "C" produces a "J" sound in Yup'ik), where there will be many traditional festivities. That's in the Spring, so we are planning on leaving on a Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday night. We actually just found out there is a required in-service in Bethel the weekend of Camai so we will already be there! Our in-service might just be to attend the festivities - it's part of being immersed in the culture. It's not until March, but I'm lookin forward to it. Dancers come from all over too - it's big doins in the town of Bethel!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment