Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Fresh fish!
The father of one of my students called me at school this afternoon and told me he had some fish for me. He had a successful day of fishing, so he brought me a filleted fish. I came home, popped it in the oven, and in less than an hour I had the most delicious salmon dinner ever! I put a little garlic on one of the fillets, and it was very, very good. I am going to have to remember to bring a huge jug of chopped garlic back from Christmas break to cook with my chicken - but I was not thinking of seasonings when I made the bulk food order...
40 days after someone dies, the family has a feast - called the 40 day feast. I didn't hear about it until after my lunch break was over, but after school I tried some dry, smoked salmon. It actually wasn't what I was expecting - it was greasier than I thought it would be. I thought it would be like jerky texture - but the fish was dried and smoked on the skin of the fish. It was good though. I wish I was able to go to the feast though, because they had walrus soup, and lots of other native foods. I hope to sample anything and everything I can while I'm here.
It's going to be an early night for me. The kids were a little bit better today, although one student told me that he wanted to punch me in the face. Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past him to bring a weapon to school - at five years old - so I'm going to have to keep my eye on that one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment