Sunday, September 21, 2008

Clinic and native healings.

We do have a clinic here in Kipnuk, but all they do is ask you a bunch of questions, then send the answers to the doctor in Bethel or Anchorage. It's like a dichotomous key for diagnosis! There are many native cures though - "Tundra Tea" is made from Labrador, I can't remember the Yup'ik name for it, but you are supposed to chew the leaves (they look like pine tree needles) and swallow the juice to cure a sore throat, and if you brew it into tea it's supposed to cure any ailment you have. We went out one afternoon down to the reservoir, and picked some Labrador. I had a sore throat, so I tried to chew it - but it was pretty bad. I made it into some tea, and that was more tolerable. Another native cure I heard about is quite interesting - but who knows, it could work. If you feel like you are getting a cold, you are supposed to drink the urine of a young boy. I will try to load more pictures and videos - it seems to be cooperating now!

No comments: