Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Steams.

The Yup'ik word for steam is maqii. Sign at the Bethel Airport. Chewing is a problem here. Just as long as the Kindergarten students don't start! The most common thing to do in the evenings is to have a steam. There are many little plywood shacks around the village with a pipe coming out of the top. These are the steam houses. I don't have a picture of a Kipnuk steam yet (but I will get one and post it), but this is a picture of a steam house I saw in Bethel that was for sale for $15,000. You need to be invited to a steam in order to experience it, and for the most part the teachers are invited at some point. I hear it is great, but there is initiation during your first steam - your steam hosts will try to "steam you out" by making it very, very hot. There is nothing wrong with stepping out into the little foyer to cool off, but it's usually a contest with the men.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! I think I would get claustrophobic in the steamer.

Sabrina said...

That one is actually pretty spacious. The ones around here are itty bitty, and you have to hunch down to walk into them. They aren't built for tall people - and I'm one of the 5 tallest people if the village. :)