Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Moose.

The Mother of one of my student's is the pre-school teacher in Kipnuk. She came in and spoke to me a few days ago about a few of the students I would be getting. She mentioned that one boy has the ability to speak, but he doesn't - and she wasn't kidding! Most of the time he just moves his lips, as if everyone is supposed to read his lips - but he communicates mainly through grunts, whistles, and motions with his hands. I got him to speak barely above a whisper when we were working on some puzzles - so I guess that's pretty good for day two. I hope I can help him come out of his shell a little more! Actually, there are two boys in the class that whistle. I don't know what's better, being whistled at by the students, or being called 'Mr. B,' 'Mr. V,' 'Mr. D,' or 'Ms. Dura'. The students have a lot of trouble differentiating between using "Mr" and "Mrs" - even through the High School, so it's nothing personal. When the pre-school teacher, I can't remember her name right now, came to pick up her daughter, she told me that there was a Moose wandering around behind their house - and she didn't believe her husband when he first told her, but when he went on the radio and called some other men (almost all of the houses have those CB radios) she ran to the window in time to see this young buck walking away from the house. A few of the men went out and ended up getting it. I wish I could have seen it! I hope I will have a full class tomorrow so I can put up another picture of all the kiddies. But, if they're not all there it might be a bit less hectic...which is always appreciated. Once the core group understands the rules - they will set the example for the other students. I already have a few that are my "favorites" because they listen to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sabrina: too bad you missed the moose - is that a rare occurence there? Are the sure the little boy can communicate? Hope you try a steam bath.

Sabrina said...

Having a moose in the village is a very rare occurrence. It was a young one, so maybe it just got lost and wandered into Kipnuk. I'm keeping my eyes open for all sorts of wildlife though!!

Anonymous said...

Sabrina,
One summer we traveled to Maine to see moose and didn't see any. While we away one walked in fron of our house. Your adventure in Alaska sounds amazing.
Sandy