The first three pictures are of my students when they're singing their "Alphabet Chants" song. It goes along with a tape, and they follow along on their paper with the pictures and letters. The next two pictures are when I caught them playing teacher, I'm glad I got a few good shots.
On March 2nd, we had parents come into the classroom to have their child read to them, and a couple High School students came in to read Yup'ik stories to them. That went very well, about half of the parents came in. Paul, a middle school teacher, came in and told stories of Kipnuk to my class and Liane's class. A few of his students came along to hear the stories, but the girls weren't interested - so only the boys showed up. It was very interesting to hear Paul's stories about Kipnuk. The video is on Voni's computer, so as soon as I get that on my computer I will upload the video, or parts of it. I'd like to pass along the video to share some of the language.
I was the "Principal" on Friday, and will be again on Monday while the real Principal is in Anchorage. Nothing too exciting happened, but there was some drama. Voni had her reading group in the library, and she brought one of her students into the office asking if someone could help her, because her finger got smashed between two chairs and her ring was squishing her finger. The girl was crying a little bit, but I didn't realize how serious it was until I looked at her hand. Her poor finger was totally smashed by the ring! It was a little dramatic, ER style when I called out for a pair of pliers or wire cutters. We finally got our hands on a pair of cutters and I finally got the ring cut off with a final crunch from Harberg, an aide who works in the school and happened to be there. It was very hard to get it to cut through all the way! We gave her frozen packs of spinach to cool her hand, and she hung out it in the office for a bit. She was a tough cookie though - I think I would have been a lot more vocally upset if I had a ring squishing my finger! Luckily, that was the most dramatic part of the day. Thank goodness it was Friday! Monday we have a district inservice, when I will again be the acting principal. That will be a day filled with grading writing assessments - so it should be a smooth ride.
Enjoy the pictures - I will get that video up soon!

1 comment:
Awesome fotos and a great story. What a wonderful day as acting principal, except for the accident with the finger. Keep up the good writing!
Post a Comment