It was a very welcoming homecoming when my roommates and I got back to the village. Unfortunately, Voni and I make it back first; Liane was supposed to be on the flight right after us, but it got too late and she had to stay in Bethel another night. We all had separation anxiety, haha. The next morning she got in after the fog cleared and we could start getting ready for the year.
We've just finished the second week of school and things seem to be off to a great start. Here are a few pictures, and I hope to update weekly this year!
A view of the Uptown and Midtown of Kipnuk.
Kipnuk in the distance, the big blue roof is the school.
Last Tuesday afternoon, Liane and I were walking around the village and Harberg, who works in the school, saw us from his boat. He asked if we wanted to go up the river with him - he was going to check for salmon. We were very excited - and glad that one of us had a camera! He didn't get any salmon, but we walked around the tundra waiting for the tide to come in. At one point we were circled by seagulls since we were apparently standing over their feeding ground. These are some pictures I took while we were out there. There's one picture of Harberg putting the net into the water.
Sean Parnell, AK's Governor was our surprise guest speaker at our District-wide inservice this year.
We went out for a walk since the gym was being used for picture day.
My Kindergarten class this year. I have 16 students, and we're off to a great start!

2 comments:
cant believe it's already been 2 weeks for you!
hi sabrina! : ) Chris
Sabrina,
I've been checking daily to see if you were returning to Kipnuk. I'm so glad to see you back. Good luck with another school year.
Joyce Ranieri
Post a Comment