Monday, April 6, 2009

LONG overdue update - and it's my birthday!

This is me, flying from Bethel to Kipnuk after some training on March 19th. We got to three miles outside of Kipnuk, then had to turn around because weather was bad! It was a tiny little plane with barely any heat - hence the full face coverage.

Agnes reading to a group of kids.

A stretch hummer that they have in Bethel. I couldn't believe it. I didn't bother to check the prices. I still am trying to figure out what you would need a stretch hummer for anywhere...let alone in Bethel, AK!

It's the eve of April 7th, it's 10:15 and the sun is still out - hence, I am updating my blog. I figure since I can't sleep while it's still light out, I might as well do something useful like update this thing. It's been far too long and I apologize! I will put up pictures, etc.

Since our return from Anchorage, my roommates and I went to Bethel for a reading program training. I came to be the curriculum coordinator - so all the issues and complaints come through me. It's not so bad though, I want people to know I am much more than just a Kindergarten teacher! Speaking of my students, they are doing wonderfully!!! They are reading - most of them will sound out words by themselves, go pick up a book and try to read it with each other, and then come and show me how they did it all by themselves. It's amazing to see, and I am very, very proud of them. They can count up and down from 100 by 10's, count up to 100 by 5's, and count up and down from 20 by 2's, and of course they can count up to 100 by 1's. I have been told that in previous years, the Kindergartners have never gotten this far. It's a great compliment and I hope I can keep it up for next year. I have met most of my students that I will be getting - and I think I will have a great group. I learned a lot this year, seeing as I came in knowing just about nothing, so I am much more prepared to hit the ground running next year.

Funny story about meeting my Kindergarten kids for next year! Well, they're not really funny...awful really - and it'd make me think twice of coming to the big school if I was four years old!

We had four preschool students come in each day to the classroom. There were a couple siblings that were there - so that made it even more fun. One of the kids, the brother of one of my girls, decided he would swing on the tables. He took a header, landed on the corner of his left eye and it immediately got black and blue and started bleeding. His Mom came and picked him up. Then came lunch the next day, with a new batch of kids. I went to the office to call a parent to call a parent, and when I came back there's a kid throwing up in my classroom. Apparently, he choked on a hot dog, and kept throwing up because he said his throat hurt and he was scared. The poor boys!!! It was supposed to be a good experience to come up to the big school, not a scary one! Those were the two bad things that happened...the rest of the kids had a great time - and one boy even came for the rest of the week because he said he was having a lot of fun!

Tomorrow we start testing for the upper elementary and HS students. I will be testing about six kids, so I will be out of my classroom Tuesday through Thursday. It's going to be an all day ordeal, so my aide will be me; and she will have someone in there to help her. We will have a few high school students come in for an hour in the afternoon, those who don't have to take the test, so it will be nice to have the big kids read to the little guys - they really love that. We've started listening to a book on tape at the end of the day to relax them, and they absolutely love it. One of the kids had a birthday today, so he chose the story - The Three Billy Goats Gruff - it was a big hit.

I will post some pictures and be more adamant about updating my blog. We have had blizzards this week - and we'll see how much longer it keeps up. I don't mind it though, it was nice walking around tonight when it was 20 degrees and snowing. Much better than when I'm walking around and it's -20 and snowing!

No comments: