Since we didn't know how long we would be without water, my roommates went out and filled up some tubs with snow just in case. We have been stockpiling water over the past few months; saving the cold water from the tap while we wait for it to warm up for showers, etc. but you can never have too much spare water!
We had many warm welcomes when we got back to the village, and today since it was the first day back to school, it was the first time we have seen most people from the village. Everyone has been commenting on the haircuts (since every teacher got a haircut over the break) and they gave us many a "Welcome home!" hugs, and handshakes (when you're out in the village, it's disrespectful to shake someones hand with a glove on; so even in -30 weather you must take off your glove to shake hands).
It's been good coming back, and the kids remembered much more than I thought they would! We are picking up right where we left off, which is great. This Friday we have an awards assembly for the students, so if they hand in all their homework, or get through a phase, they get an award in front of the school. I was unaware of this at the last assembly, so this time I will be able to give my students proper recognition for their hard work!
I will attach some more pictures from the plane ride from Anchorage to Bethel. The views are absolutely gorgeous. I think the Anchorage airport might be the most beautiful I have been to yet, as far as surrounding mountains go!

No comments:
Post a Comment