Saturday, October 11, 2008

Snow and Kindergartners.

This week has been filled with snow, and Kipnuk is covered in a sheet of ice, which makes me thankful that I bought some ice trackers, which have an amazing grip so I'm not sliding all over the place. I went to the post yesterday with my roommate and one other teacher, and they were sliding all over the place trying to walk over the bridge. It doesn't help to grab onto the railings because they are also completely iced over. The scariest part is walking up the ramp at the post, and up the ramp at the school because those are metal ramps, and if you fall on those, there's a chance you will have your legs ripped open from the metal. I can't figure out why that type of ramp was chosen, because it's treacherous when it's icy!

Here are a few pictures of my Kindergartners. The kids are now starting to play teacher, so they have a few other kids sit near the alphabet chart to find the home for the first letter of the word on the alphabet cards (ie: dog goes in the "Dd" pocket). It's fun to watch them, because they say, "You're not ready, how do I know that you're ready?" or, "You need to raise your hand, put a marshmallow in your mouth so you don't talk when they're talking." I say that to them, so now they do it to each other, it's pretty funny. When they 'put a marshmallow in their mouth' they just close their mouths and puff their cheeks out with air. We do that in the hallway too so they don't talk. It works fairly well - so until it stops working, I'm going to stick with it!

I also wanted to put up some pictures of the snow from my walk to the post the other day. Apparently it's only really ice when the snow first comes, and then in the spring when it starts to thaw - so in a few weeks when it's just completely snowy, it won't be as horrible to walk around. I'll be the judge of that... So here are some pictures of Kipnuk, and there will be more to come. There's a picture of me near the post - it was pretty windy, but again 30 mph winds are nothing out here and it's going to get much, much worse! : )

No comments: